[Article] TVB Awards Nomination List 2012 (& my comments)

Do take note, I'm only commenting based on series I have watched: When Heaven Burns, L'Escargot (partial), The Hippocratic Crush, Gloves Come Off (partial), Tiger Cubs, Witness Insecurity, Three Kingdoms RPG, Ghetto Justice 2 (just started on it), King Maker, Divas in Distress, Highs and Lows (partial)
i.e. I will NOT be basing my opinions on the two Anniversary Series Silver Spoon, Sterling Shackles and The Confidant, among others, perhaps except for my prediction of "Will Win".

Should Win
Bias (Like storyline/theme/actor/performance but may not be good enough to win)
Will Win (Just my prediction)

Best Drama:
When Heaven Burns [天与地]
I really enjoyed the theme of this drama. Too avant garde for widespread acceptance though. I'm not too sure if it's because of my poor grasp of Cantonese or because of the script but some parts of the plot was a little lost on me. Made it slightly less enjoyable than what I think it could have been otherwise. :(

Bottled Passion [我的如意狼君]
Wish and Switch [换乐无穷]
L’Escargot [缺宅男女] Oscar and Mandy were good in here but plot was blah.
Let It Be Love [4 in Love]
The Hippocratic Crush [On Call 36小时]
There hasn't been a (good) medical series in a long time since Healing Hands [妙手仁心]. I still think HH is better (after all it is a classic). But compared to the rest of this year's offerings, this should be one of the best.

Queen of Hearts and Diamonds [东西宫略]
Daddy Good Deeds [当旺爸爸]
The Greatness of Hero [盛世仁杰]
Gloves Come Off [拳王]
House of Harmony and Vengeance [耀舞长安]
Come Home Love [爱.回家]
Master of Play [心战]
No Good Either Way [冲呀!瘦薪兵团]
Tiger Cubs [飞虎]
Cop series with lots of action and eye-candy. What's there not to like about this? :P But the lack of proper development means that this isn't "Best series" material. :(

Witness Insecurity [护花危情]
Three Kingdoms RPG [回到三国]
Ghetto Justice 2 [怒火街头2]
King Maker [造王者] KM fell short of my expectations. :(
Divas in Distress [巴不得妈妈…]
The Last Steep Ascent [天梯]
Highs and Lows [雷霆扫毒]
Silver Spoon, Sterling Shackles [名媛望族]
The Confidant [大太监]

Either Confidant or Silver will most probably win. While this is determined by audience's vote (so says TVB) hence non-Anniversary Series may stand a higher chance, Hippocratic is unlikely to win since it was aired earlier (the audience may not remember it as well). :(


Best Actor:
Kenneth Ma [马国明] - The Hippocratic Crush [On Call 36 小时]
Roger Kwok [郭晋安] - Queen of Diamonds and Hearts [东西攻略]
Kevin Cheng [郑嘉颖] - Gloves Come Off [拳王]
Raymond Wong [黄浩然] - Gloves Come Off [拳王]
Joe Ma [马德钟] - Tiger Cubs [飞虎]
Bosco Wong [黄宗泽] - Witness Insecurity [护花危情]
Moses Chan [陈豪] - The Last Steep Ascent [天梯]
Raymond Lam [林峰] - Highs and Lows [雷霆扫毒]
Damian Lau [刘松仁] - Silver Spoon, Sterling Shackles [名媛望族]
Wayne Lai [黎耀祥] - The Confidant [大太监]

If it is purely by fan voting, Raymond's surely going to win. But I really have no idea who should win, especially since I'm not basing my judgement on the two veterans, Damian and Wayne (see beginning of post). Kenneth was good but not good enough. The rest aren't up to standard too.
(With the departure of Bowie, I officially have no bias for actors though I really admire Wayne's acting.)


Best Actress:
Charmaine Sheh [佘诗曼] - When Heaven Burns [天与地]
Niki Chow [周丽淇] - Bottled Passion [我的如意狼君]
Fala Chen [陈法拉] - Queen of Diamonds and Hearts [东西攻略]
Linda Chung [钟嘉欣] - Witness Insecurity [护花危情]
Myolie Wu [胡杏儿] - Ghetto Justice 2 [怒火街头2]
Liza Wang [汪明荃] - Divas in Distress [巴不得妈妈…]
Aimee Chan [陈茵媺] - The Last Steep Ascent [天梯]
Kate Tsui [徐子珊] - Highs and Lows [雷霆扫毒]
I liked the look she had in her eyes as she transformed from an informant [线人] to a drug addict and finally drug lord/queen. Commendable effort.
Tavia Yeung [杨怡] - Silver Spoon, Sterling Shackles [名媛望族]
Michelle Yim [米雪] - The Confidant [大太监]

Unless TVB miraculously allows Charmaine into Top 5, she's surely not going to win, even though I really feel that she deserves the award. I think only she can embody the kind of 气质 that made Hazel so memorable! Anw, I think it's going to be a battle between Kate's and Tavia's fans for the award but I feel that Tavia's fans are crazier show more outward support so she's more likely to win.


My Favourite Male Character:
Kenneth Ma [马国明] - The Hippocratic Crush [On Call 36小时]
Bobby Au Yeung [欧阳震华]- House of Harmony and Vengeance [耀舞长安]
Bosco Wong [黄宗泽] - Witness Insecurity [护花危情]
Kevin Cheng [郑嘉颖] - Ghetto Justice 2 [怒火街头2]
Moses Chan [陈豪] - The Last Steep Ascent [天梯]
Michael Miu [苗侨伟] - Highs and Lows [雷霆扫毒]
Raymond Lam [林峰] - Highs and Lows [雷霆扫毒]
Happy Sir really did a lot for Pat. Very touching.
Damian Lau [刘松仁] - Silver Spoon, Sterling Shackles [名媛望族]
Wayne Lai [黎耀祥] - The Confidant [大太监]
Raymond Wong [黄浩然] - The Confidant [大太监]

Got a feeling Kenneth's going to win. Yat Kin Tao is really popular.


My Favourite Female Character:
Charmaine Sheh [佘诗曼] - When Heaven Burns [天与地]
As I said earlier, I really like the Hazel. I really like her determination and passion.
Niki Chow [周丽淇] - Bottled Passion [我的如意狼君]
Tavia Yeung [杨怡] - The Hippocratic Crush [On Call 36小时]
Haha I like her no-nonsense attitude. :)
Fala Chen [陈法拉] - Queen of Hearts and Diamonds [东西宫略]
Myolie Wu [胡杏儿] - Ghetto Justice 2 [怒火街头2]
Kristal Tin [田蕊妮] - King Maker [造王者]
I really love Krystal's Sam Leung (so cool!) but it's unlikely she'll win. :(

Eliza Sam [岑丽香]- Divas in Distress [巴不得妈妈…]
Kate Tsui [徐子珊] - Highs and Lows [雷霆扫毒]
I liked the characterisation of Pat. Multi-layered and complex.The transformation Pat underwent was interesting too.

Tavia Yeung [杨怡] - Silver Spoon, Sterling Shackles [名媛望族]
Michelle Yim [米雪] - The Confidant [大太监]

Not too sure who will win. Perhaps Tavia? She's got 2 nominations and I believe TVB wants to promote her. If my prediction for Favourite Male Character is correct, she'll most likely win it for Hippocratic instead of Silver since their pairing is so popular.


Best Supporting Actor:
Oscar Leung [梁烈唯] - L’Escargot [缺宅男女]
Him Law [罗仲谦] - The Hippocratic Crush [On Call 36 小时]
Edwin Siu [萧正楠] - Daddy Good Deeds [当旺爸爸]
Ram Chiang [蒋志光] - Witness Insecurity [护花危情] I liked how Ram provided much comedic relief in the series.
Jazz Lam [林子善] - Ghetto Justice 2 [怒火街头2]
Koo Ming Wah [古明华] - Divas in Distress [巴不得妈妈…]
Kenny Wong [黄德斌] - The Last Steep Ascent [天梯]
Vincent Wong [王浩信] - Silver Spoon, Sterling Shackles [名媛望族]
Power Chan [陈国邦] - The Confidant [大太监]
Elliot Yue [岳华] - The Confidant [大太监]

Really shocked Ben wasn't nominated. Less so for Kanin's absence but I'm still very disappointed. :( The competition should be between Power and Ming Wah. The Confidant's more recent and Power is more likely than Ming Wah to remain at TVB as an actor (since Ming Wah mainly does voice dubbing now) so I think the award will go to him. I'm really torn between who should get the award as both have been at TVB for so long and they both should get recognition for their memorable portrayals.

Best Supporting Actress:
Mandy Wong [黄智雯] - L’Escargot [缺宅男女]
Kwan Yee So was really too discordant! I really hated this character!

Nancy Wu [胡定欣] - Gloves Come Off [拳王]
Her performance as someone deaf and mute was not bad though some parts weren't convincing enough. (E.g. other actors turn their backs to her when they're talking in a group and it doesn't seem like a big problem to her.)

Rachel Kan [简慕华] - Master of Play [心战]
Mary Hon [韩马利] - Three Kingdoms RPG [回到三国]
Christine Kuo [苟芸慧] - Ghetto Justice [怒火街头2]
Florence Kwok [郭少芸] - King Maker [造王者]
Eliza Sam [岑丽香] - Divas in Distress [巴不得妈妈…]
Helen Law [罗兰] - The Last Steep Ascent [天梯]
Elena Kong [江美仪] - Silver Spoon, Sterling Shackles [名媛望族]
Aimee Chan [陈茵媺] - The Confidant [大太监]

I haven't watched Silver so I really have no idea how Elena performed but judging by her past performances and the performances of the other nominees, I think she's the most likely to win.


Most Improved Actor:
Vincent Wong [王浩信] - Wish and Switch [换乐无穷], Tiger Cubs [飞虎], Silver Spoon, Sterling Shackles [名媛望族]
King Kong [金刚] - Let It Be Love [4 in Love], King Maker [造王者], Ghetto Justice 2 [怒火街头2], Jade Solid Gold [劲歌金曲], Battle of the Senses [五觉大战], TV Funny [玩转三周1/2], Neighborhood Gourmet [街坊厨神食四方]
Oscar Leung [梁烈唯] - L’Escargot [缺宅男女], Queen of Hearts and Diamonds [东西宫略], House of Harmony and Vengeance [耀舞长安], Tiger Cubs [飞虎], The Confidant [大太监], Big Boys Club [兄弟帮]
Edwin Siu [萧正楠] - Daddy Good Deeds [当旺爸爸], Gloves Come Off [拳王], The Last Steep Ascent [天梯], The Confidant [大太监], TV Funny [玩转三周1/2]
Him Law [罗仲谦] - L’Escargot [缺宅男女], The Hippocratic Crush [On Call 36小时], Tiger Cubs [飞虎], Divas in Distress [巴不得妈妈…]

Competition is stiff here! I think only King Kong doesn't stand a chance for this. LOL most of the programmes he did are variety shows not dramas. I've got a slight bias for Him to win but I think Oscar deserves it more.


Most Improved Actress:
Eliza Sam [岑丽香] - Ghetto Justice 2 [怒火街头2], Divas in Distress [巴不得妈妈…], Heilongjiang [黑龙江]
Christine Kuo [苟芸慧] - Ghetto Justice 2 [怒火街头2], Tiger Cubs [飞虎]
Mandy Wong [黄智雯] - L’Escargot [缺宅男女], The Hippocratic Crush [On Call 36小时], Tiger Cubs [飞虎], Divas in Distress [巴不得妈妈…]
Cilla Kung [乐曈] - Three Kingdoms RPG [回到三国], Daddy Good Deeds [当旺爸爸], Witness Insecurity [护花危情]
Katy Kung [龚嘉欣] - Bottled Passion [我的如意狼君], Gloves Come Off [拳王], No Good Either Way [冲呀!瘦薪兵团], The Last Steep Ascent [天梯], Living Up [更上一层楼]

Mandy's had a great year. But knowing TVB, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Eliza (or maybe Christine) wins, though I think the possibility is quite low. Anw I still dun know why Eliza and Christine are so popular.


The talent drain is really evident. This year's drama offerings are quite weak overall and performances for lead roles certainly can't compare to previous years. The supporting cast is still okay I guess.

Sidenote: I will have quite a few graphics posts for TVB Awards. Stay tuned!

[Note: I will not tag this post with artiste/series names cuz there's simply too many.]

No comments:

Post a Comment